This article is also available in: Italiano
in 1808, the church of san pancrazio became deconsecrated by an edict of the napoleonic government. this reorganization witnessed the removal of the albertian triforio, re-assembling it in the façade with strongly varied proportions. the building then undergoes the fate of the dispersion of its furniture, and finally auction as part of the napoleonic lottery. later the structure becomes the venue of the governmental prefecture and then a tobacco manufacture during which time a fire destroyed the apsidal masonry. the final incarnation of the structure was as a military depot. finally, in 1988, the city rediscovers a historic building returned from improper use through a laborious restoration work, and the opening of a museum that happily combines ancient and modern, designed by architects bruno sacchi and lorenzo papi, florence’s first museum of contemporary art.